:: Volume 4, Issue 3 And 4 (8-2016) ::
Journal of Surgery and Trauma 2016, 4(3 And 4): 51-57 Back to browse issues page
Associations between preoperative P-wave characteristics, C-reactive protein levels, and atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graft surgery
Nahid Azdaki , Navid Ghodsi nik , Navid Rabiee , Mahmood Zardast , Amir Rahmanian Sharifabad , Mahmood Hosseinzadeh Maleki , Majid Jafarnrzhad
Associate Professor of Cardiac Surgery, Atherosclerosis and Coronary Artery Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
Abstract:   (583 Views)
Introduction: Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common complication of cardiac surgery which may cause remarkable morbidity and complications. Identifying predicting factors of this arrhythmia can help prophylactic therapy. The present study is designed to investigate the hypothesis that HsCRP level and P-wave characteristics are associated with the incidence of post-operative AF.
Methods: In this prospective study, 50 consecutive patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) operation during a 1-year period at Vali-e-asr Hospital, Birjand, Iran were enrolled. All the patients underwent electrocardiography (ECG) before surgery and P-wave duration and height were measured. In addition, blood samples were collected the day before surgery as well as 12, 24 and 72 hours after surgery to measure CRP serum levels. Patients were monitored after surgery to detect probable AF rhythm. Data was analyzed using SPSS 16.
Results: Of the 50 patients, 10 (20%) developed AF in the postoperative phase during days 1 to 5, while the other 40 patients (80%) had stable sinus rhythm. P-wave duration and height were significantly different in patients who subsequently developed postoperative AF with the mean values of 109.5±15.7 and 0.14±0.03, respectively. Mean HsCRP levels before and 12, 24, and 72 h after operation showed no significant difference.
Conclusions: Patients prone to AF arrhythmia can be identified by measuring P-wave duration and height in preoperative ECG. Hs.CRP levels before and after CABG surgery may not contribute to AF prediction.
Keywords: Coronary Artery Bypass, Atrial Fibrillation, Electrocardiogram, C - reactive protein
Full-Text [PDF 562 kb]   (172 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: Surgery
Received: 2017/05/13 | Accepted: 2017/07/30 | Published: 2017/07/30

XML     Print

Volume 4, Issue 3 And 4 (8-2016) Back to browse issues page